[postgis-devel] PSC Vote - Mark postgis, postgis_topology, address_standardizer as trusted

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 8 08:57:46 PST 2021

> I'm not really following this.  You did an update, and it was ok, but you
think
> if you did a different (also legitimate) kind of update, it would fail?

Yes I was testing upgrade which just goes from 3.1.1 to 3.1.1next, so pretty
much a no-op
But if I were trying to upgrade from say 2.3.something to 3.1.1 I suspect it
would fail because I think we have some system catalog monkey doo.

> I don't think things should be marked for regular users to install unless
there
> is confidence that the entire install/update chain will work and will
continue
> to work in the future.  It should be added to regression tests if not
already.
> Do our tests have the notion of being able to be run as a non-superuser
and
> validating this?  How do we manage testing the things that aren't, also,
in an
> automated way?
>
> In other words, marking it trusted creates requirements on future
> changes.   I'm not sure if that's a good tradeoff.  (I really mean I
> don't know; that's not meant to be backnhaded criticism of the idea.)

Anyway I think the vote failed passing.  But we still should follow best
practices, so my comments about that still hold about us using CREATE ..
instead of CREATE OR REPLACE