[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Circle CI signup for Free plan

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 11:34:22 PDT 2023

Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. aug. 22., K, 21:04)

> The docker-postgis sub-group wants to start shipping ARM docker containers
> and the easiest route for that would be to use CircleCI.

I'm currently working on expanding the docker-postgis code.
One of the most requested features right now by users is the Arm64/v8
(Aarch64) based postgis docker image.
( https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis/issues/216  )

I've already built a working prototype on CircleCI.
For further testing, we need to decide if we're going with this or if we
need a different solution.

Comment: Because we need to give CircleCI access to Docker Hub for this,
and we want to keep the process secure, it wouldn't be ideal to use our own
developer accounts to create the images.

Some other updates I'm working on:
- Adding 'bookworm' support while maintaining existing 'bullseye' support.
( 15-3.4-bookworm , 15-3.4-bullseye )
  Later, we'll also support 2 alpine versions, similar to the upstream
docker postgres repo we're building on.

- We'll have expanded docker image tagging. (15-3.4-bookworm,
15-3.4.0-bookworm, 15-3.4, latest )

- To keep the base postgis/postgis images small, I'm planning simple
Debian-based (geo)bundle images built on them,
  with features like pgRouting, MobilityDB, pg_h3, pgsql-gzip, pgsql-http,
ogr-fdw, pointcloud, TimescaleDB, pgvector, etc. This area is still fluid
though.
  ( 15-3.4-bundle-bookworm  )

I've got a minimal working prototype:
- docker images: https://hub.docker.com/r/imresamu/postgis
- code: https://github.com/ImreSamu/docker-postgis

I'm trying to expand the system so that if there's demand, we can easily
create older Postgis versions like 3.3, 3.2, 3.1 based on Alpine.
I'm also thinking about a weekly auto-updated "postgis/postgis:*-master"
version to support testing of other osgeos projects built on postgis.

CircleCI provides about 80,000 build minutes/month for open source. This
should likely cover the docker-postgis sub-project's needs.
My developer account on CircleCI also received the same amount of open
source credits/minutes.

In the https://circleci.com/pricing/ FAQ:
"""
What if I am building open-source?
*CircleCI offers free access to compute time and resources for
organizations on our Free plan. *

*Open source projects can access up to 400,000 credits per month
(equivalent to 80,000 build minutes) to use on Linux, Arm, and Docker.Open
source Windows and macOS builds or private repositories can use the 30,000
credits offered in our free plan.If you are building a bigger open source
project and would like the flexibility of our new plans, let us know how we
can help you!*+ https://circleci.com/open-source/
"""

Another Arm64 Alternative: https://cirrus-ci.org/features/
https://cirrus-ci.org/blog/2023/07/17/limiting-free-usage-of-cirrus-ci/
 I haven't tested it, but it seems promising.

And there are other CI providers:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CI_Providers

If you have any related questions, I'm here to help.
Regards,
   Imre