[postgis-users] questions about using transform function with proj4

Nelson Tong nel_tong at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:11:20 PST 2003

  I am attempting to use the transform function that comes with postgis 0.8
without success. The  return value that the function of  transform gives me
is alway "null". I have checked my Makefile and made sure that the
reporjection support is on as followed:

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Set USE_PROJ to 1 for Proj4 reprojection support
#
USE_PROJ=1
ifeq (${PROJ_DIR},)
        PROJ_DIR=/usr/local/bin
endif

The directory of /usr/local/bin is where the binary files of proj, nad2nad,
cs2cs, and geod are located in my machine which is running on redhat linux 8
with postgresql 7.2.2 .  When I ran 'make' and 'make install' for postgis,
the installation ran without problem. After I load into a newly created
database the functions definitons and the EPSG coordinate system definition
with postgis.sql and spatial_ref_sys.sql, respectively, I tried to use the
transform function to transform  coordinates of a geometry into those with a
new coordinate system,  the values returned from the function are all
"null". Did I set something wrong during the installation procudres of
postgis when I enabled the reprojedtion support with proj4 library? I am
quite sure that proj4 was installed correctly in my machine.

Thanks for reply back to my questions in advance.

N Tong