[postgis-users] PostGIS Usage Survey

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Wed Feb 5 13:48:29 PST 2003

Name of the organization - City of Boston , Department of Neighborhood
Development
- Data being managed in the database -
City owned building and land parcels, locations of projects  (eventually
permit info), abandoned property etc.

- How the data is being accessed / manipulated -
Most of the data is being accessed via mapserver and in an ASP query page -
to list proximities of properties.  Also use postgis to generate shape file
dumps for other uses.

- Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application -
I like the fact that PostGIS sits on top of postgresSQL  - a surprisingly
powerful database (as opposed to a simpler database).  It made it easy to do
complex joins and such which I've grown accustomed to.  I also like the rich
SFSQL compliant functionality it has.  It is of course the cheapest and
easiest to setup given the functionality provided.  PostGIS integrates with
our existing MS SQL Server project and property databases via linked server
configuration.

We hope to take more advantage of its features and expand our use of it when
time permits;  using geographic space as a joining force to integrate our
more or less disparate databases.

Unfortunately we've been side-tracked with other things, so movement has
been slow.

Thanks for such a wonderful product - keep up the good work,

Regina Obe