[postgis-users] freeBSD GEOS upgrade problem with PostGIS

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Dec 10 05:49:44 PST 2005

Hi,

The last two times I have upgraded my system using portupgrade I have
had library problems with PostGIS.

After doing the upgrade libgeos.so.X changes to reflect the new library
and this breaks PostGIS thusly:

select postgis_full_version();

ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/local/lib/liblwgeom.so.1": dlopen
'/usr/local/lib/liblwgeom.so.1' failed. (Shared object "libgeos.so.2"
not found, required by "liblwgeom.so.1")
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  postgis_lib_version()"
PL/pgSQL function "postgis_full_version" line 10 at select into variables

I have hacked a fix by doing adding in /usr/local/lib directory

on the upgrade to GEOS 2.1.4
   ln -s libgeos.so.3 libgeos.so.2

and on this current upgrade to GEOS 2.2.0
   ln -s libgeos.so.4 libgeos.so.2

so I get:

"POSTGIS="1.0.4" GEOS="2.2.0" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004" USE_STATS
DBPROC="0.3.0" RELPROC="0.3.0""

Soooo, I guess my question(s) are:

Is this bad?
Why is this happening?

There is a PostGIS 1.0.4_2 that I have not upgraded to yet because I
wanted to check which version I was on. Now I think it is safe to
upgrade that since I'm already on 1.0.4

Strk mentioned a 1.0.6, should I just wait until that propagates to the
ports?

Thanks,
   -Steve W.