[postgis-users] Amoeba Hulls

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 5 12:11:39 PDT 2006

Hey there,

If you can determine the closest 80% of points by whatever criteria,
wouldn't you be able to use the convexhull() function?  I just tried
this, and it looks okay to me:

testdb=# select astext(convexhull('MULTIPOINT((0 1),(0 0),(1 0),(1
1))'::geometry));
              astext
--------------------------------
  POLYGON((0 0,0 1,1 1,1 0,0 0))
(1 row)

I did the same thing after creating a points table with the separate in
individual records with the same overall coordinates in the multipoint
example above, and it worked okay too:

testdb=# select astext(convexhull(collect(p))) from testpoint;
              astext
  POLYGON((0 0,0 1,1 1,1 0,0 0))
(1 row)

It wouldn't be too hard to modify this to work using where condition
that filters out the records of interest...or maybe on a saved view.

The only problem is that it wouldn't produce a nice curvy polygon
outline like in the sample William provided.

Regards,
Mike