[postgis-users] optimize: count up points near a point

Josh Livni josh at livniconsulting.com
Thu Jul 13 18:57:06 PDT 2006

Thanks for the good points Michael -- I'll definitely make a centroid
geometry column (I only query this; never update).

I'll also create index on the 'expand(centroid_geom),3280', since that
seems to have sped it up a lot.  Unfortunately my distance sometimes
varies, and is not always a kilometer, but I still think it will be
faster to just make a bunch of indices.

Anyway, more to the point, as I was changing my query to take advantage
of my new centroid geometry column, I realized my massive typo:  I was
using "(expand(p.the_geom,3280.8) && ..." instead of
"(expand(centroid(p.the_geom),3280.8) && ..."

At first glance, fixing this up, combined with your suggestion of
indexing the expanded centroid, seems to speed it up an order of
magnitude or so.

   -Josh

PS I think I'll also make it "(expand(p.the_geom,3280.8 + some extra
distance) && ... " and index that too, to be sure I'm picking up the
points I want, but this should still be much much faster than expanding
the polygon w/no index