[postgis-users] Anybody know anything about the Debian packages?

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Wed Apr 2 17:16:28 PDT 2008

I've discovered the hard way that I can't take a pg_dump file from my Ubuntu
home machine (which has Postgresql 8.2 and PostGIS 1.2.1) and import it on my
Debian Etch colo box (which has Postgresql 8.1 and PostGIS 1.1.6).  I can't
say I'm surprised by that, especially after all the trouble I had getting
anything to work using the owner of the database rather than the postgres user
(aside: it might be nice if the manual had some mention of using "grant" on
the two geometry tables to make that work).

I thought I might try the documented "hard upgrade" procedure to see if it
will do what is in essence a downgrade.  But neither the "postgis" nor the
"postgresql-8.1-postgis" Debian packages seems to have installed the
documented utils/postgis_restore.pl program.  Does anybody here know if it's
in a different package, or can I just pull it from subversion?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began