[postgis-users] Problems compiling Postgis from source in Ubuntu 9.10

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 03:59:16 PST 2010

Roger André wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I see from the Changelog that you committed many of the pgxs updates, so
> thanks for the response.  A couple points I'd like to clarify.
>
> 1. I have not installed ANY Postgresql code from aptitude, nor do I wish
> to.  Everything is fresh source code installed under /usr/local, and I
> would very much like to keep it that way.  You're right that there is
> another pg_config in /usr/bin/pg_config though, but I have no idea how
> it got there.  It's also strange that when I go through the locations
> specified by /usr/bin/pg_config, only some of them exist.  Looks like
> some sort of partial install, or something.  aptitude also has no record
> of installing any postgres* package, so not sure how it got there.
>
> 2. Totally willing to grant you that my configure options might be
> incorrect for PostGIS 1.4. I didn't realize they had changed from 1.3 to
> 1.4.  I'll have a closer look at the ./configure --help output to make
> sure I specify them correctly.   Would help if I pointed to the right
> pg_config. ;)
>
> 3. I am going to clean out all traces of the Ubuntu package on the
> system, and then will see if I can get the source to compile properly.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Roger

Hi Roger,

I think it's related to the fact that multiple packages in Debian
install pg_config but not necessarily with the correct Makefile. I have
a feeling it is related to the libpq-dev package but it's quite
difficult to test unless you reinstall a machine from scratch :(

Glad that you managed to get it all installed though.

ATB,

Mark.

--
PostgreSQL - PostGIS