[postgis-users] Stackbuilder binaries and out-of-db raster formats

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Jun 28 04:22:21 PDT 2016

Michelle,

Yes stackbuilder PostGIS 2.3 will be compiled with GDAL 2.1 or later.
Whatever is the most stable release at time of PostGIS 2.3 will probably be
what we ship with.

No plans to include the below you mention.  However it really depends on the
extra baggage these introduce and if anyone is willing to fund our effort in
putting them in and packaging.

I haven't investigated the effort involved for these.  Two things that sway
our decisions.

1.        Is it a proprietary plugin - requiring signing some agreement with
a third party?  These we avoid like the plague.  (though we could provide
custom builds for people willing to pay the expense for us doing the work)

2.       Is it so popular that everyone is screaming about having it?

3.       Does it have extra dependency libraries?  If it does, someone has
to fund our efforts for this or it has to be really really really popular or
we have to (ourselves or one of our clients) need it.

The main thing with dependencies we have is that every additional dll
requires constant up keep and is a potential area of conflict with something
else we are shipping or that EDB is shipping.

If you are or know someone who is interested in funding this, you can write
me off-list (lr at pcorp.us <mailto:lr at pcorp.us> ).

Thanks,

Regina