[postgis-users] Unknown geometry type: 12 - MultiSurface

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 19:31:54 PDT 2017

The list of functions that are supported for polyhedral surface
geometries are documented for PostGIS 2.2 here:
https://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.2/PostGIS_Special_Functions_Index.html#PostGIS_PS_GeometryFunctions

So, for instance, try replacing ST_Intersects with ST_3DIntersects,
and your example should work.

Many of the functions were written before curve support, which is why
you may see a generic-looking "unknown geometry type" error.