[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3 and MobilityDB

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Jul 9 08:54:04 PDT 2021

I really wonder whether just copying over the liblwgeom functions they really really need into their own code base isn't the most straight-forward thing. Once that's done the only real point-of-integration is the serialization, and that only changes once every 10 years, so... keeping an eye on the postgis serialization code to watch for changes once a year is a relatively small price to pay.

Everything else is just "useful functionality that happens to be in postgis", and can probably just be copied across and given a new function name prefix to avoid collisions. At that point they are stuck maintaining their copy, but it's not like postgis is some massively churning code base at this point. Core lwgeom stuff changes infrequently at most. You might see some re-writes in geodetic from me, but that wouldn't invalidate the current code if they had a working copy.

P.