[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of upgrade paths from 2.0 - 2.3 for PostGIS 3.5+

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Aug 11 21:23:02 PDT 2023

Anyone who has an opinion on this matter, feel free to chime in.

Every time I package it annoys me I have to ship 100s of useless files.
It annoys me as a user, building my own stuff that when I go to my
extensions folder, I've got to wade thru all these files to make sure the
version of x I installed is there and are the right ones.

To ease my burden both as a user and packager, I would like to purge all
upgrade paths in our upgradeable_versions.mk before 2.4.0

This file:
https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/stable-3.4/extensions/upgradeable_ve
rsions.mk

from line 1 to line 40

That will reduce the file count by 39*(number of extensions) = 40*6 = 240
files

My thinking is 2.3 and before is long ago enough that anyone still using
them is probably better off not going straight to PostGIS 3.5
and if they really did want to, making a copy of one of the other redundant
0-byte files is less brain taxing than trying to upgrade their PostgreSQL
install from a version that supported PostGIS 2.3 to a new version that also
supports 3.5. I don't think such a version even exists, so people will
either be doing a pg_dump / pg_restore into a new server (which will still
work), or
doing a pg_upgrade and a symlink dance. In that case, they'll just have 2
symlink dances to do.

Hopefully we can get this in

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20230807135532.r73nul3ksqr55rbk%4
0c19#7c7d7d0d117fa8430783121a3935b028

so we won't need this file at all (at least for PG17+) or if we do, it will
be used to produce just one file and not 1000 files.

Thanks,
Regina